Happy New Year! I hope you all enjoyed the holidays with your family.
We’ve wasted no time in getting back to work in second grade. We have started new units in all subject areas.
- In math, we are working on double digit addition and subtraction. I realize that we do things differently than when you were in second grade, so today I sent home a summary of this unit explaining the methods your children are using to add and subtract.
- In reading, we are studying the characters in fiction chapter books and determining character traits.
- In writing, the children are writing realistic fiction stories in which the main character has a problem and goes through various struggles until the problem is finally resolved. Today, every child in the class planned their story, and some began writing. They are all very excited about their stories. I’m sure your child would enjoy telling you all about their story, and ideas that they have for future stories.
- In spelling, we have just begun unit 6. The home practice packet was sent home today that explains the spelling patterns and trick words your child is learning.
- In science, we will be exploring the effects of erosion on the Earth. Today, we looked at the continents and oceans on Google Earth.
Next week we will be starting up again with the homework log.
Thanks and have a great weekend!